- 4 medium green peppers, top removed and seeded
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 8¾-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
Heat oven to 375⁰ F. Cook peppers in boiling salted water about 5 to 8 minutes; drain well. Turn cut side down to drain. Sauté chopped onion in butter until tender but not brown; add meat and sauté until brown. Add tomato sauce, optional corn, chili powder, and salt. Fill drained peppers with meat mixture and place in deep baking dish; add ½-inch water to bottom of baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes, sprinkle tops of peppers with grated cheese. Continue to bake another 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and meat is hot.
This recipe is from the Fresh from the Garden Cookbook by Miriam B. Loo.